Pastoral care involves teaching and providing opportunities for young students to grow in their self-esteem, confidence, and independence of thought. This facilitates the development of their personal, social and emotional intelligence. The quality of pastoral care influences the ethos and tone of the whole school and is, therefore, extremely important when creating an atmosphere in which young students can feel secure and achieve at Manchester International School, -Coimbatore, India
Our Pastoral Aims
- To enable each student to fulfill their own potential both academically and socially.
- To ensure that each student has access to personal, vocational and academic guidance and support where required.
- To make available opportunities for and encourage students to exercise individual and social responsibility.
- To promote in students the self-awareness and self-confidence that they need to face the challenges, both academic and personal, that are placed on them.
- To set up and maintain proper relationship with parent, so that together we can help to prepare the students for the opportunities, responsibilities and experiences of adult life.
- To create a caring environment where students are valued for who they are, not just for what they can do.
The Impact of Pastoral Care
As the quality of Pastoral Care improves, so there are likely to be a number of positive outcomes:
- Improving the quality of Pastoral Care is an important factor in helping to prevent problems both personal and academic.
- However good the preventative work at school is, inescapably when dealing with adolescents with all the pressures that they are under internally as well as from home and society at large, problems will still arise, but good quality Pastoral Care will mean that students are better prepared to deal with problems when they do arrive.
- Good Pastoral Care will raise the standards of behaviour in school. All research clearly suggests that students with high self-esteem on average behave better than those with a low self-image. Good Pastoral care defuses rather than escalates situations and leads to enhanced relationships between staff and students.
- Improving Pastoral Care in a school will lead to higher academic performance. There is no question that students with high self-esteem who are essentially content and well-motivated will work better. Students who feel an academic failure will go a long way to fulfill their own feelings.
- Improving Pastoral Care will improve the marketing prospects of a school. Parents want to send their children to a school where they will be cared for, where individuals matter, where each child is known and where the children feel that they can talk to the teachers and where the school sees itself in genuine partnership with parents.
- Improving Pastoral Care will have a significant impact on staff morale as staff work together as a team with a common purpose.
You may wish to download our App to keep up-to-date with our latest news and calendar dates, view our videos and photographs, read our prospectus, as well as other useful School information.